Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Presence of Sarah Palin

One of the things that impresses me about Sarah Palin is the presence of being that she brings to a room. It's hard to describe and I haven't experienced it personally, but it seems palpable.

It reminds me a little bit of the time that Robert Kennedy ran for President. I was in 8th grade and he happened to make a trip to my home town. As luck would have it, his motorcade drove right past my grade school. Being that it was a Catholic school, the nuns and teachers were more than willing to let us line the street as RFK drove by. I remember it well as he waved to us from the convertible limousine he was in. Several weeks later, after I "graduated" from 8th grade, I was crushed when my mother woke me up the morning after that fateful California primary and told me that Robert Kennedy had been shot and wasn't expected to survive.

The Kennedys carried a charisma with them during their political life, although I would venture to say that Teddy did not. It's not something that is yours as a birthright, it is something transient, but real.

Sarah Palin has that charisma and following that we haven't seen since John or Bobby Kennedy. Reagan had it, but his was born out of experience and the wisdom of age. Sarah, on the other hand, possesses both the conviction to principle, as did Reagan, and an overwhelming presence of being, the likes of which I have not seen since RFK's drive-by so many years ago.

It's so very hard to explain the "it" that Sarah Palin possesses. All I can say is that "it" is there and if she so chooses, "it" could realistically propel her into the White House.

I feel like a kid again, watching an icon drive by and hoping that "it" is real. Please watch "The Undefeated". The movie will change your opinion of what “it” is.

No comments:

Post a Comment