Monday, September 6, 2010

Paving the way toward the elections

I remember when I was a bit younger and living in Fort Wayne, Indiana. You could always tell, my parents said, when an election was coming up. The mayor would spend money to repave the roads into town and then use that as evidence that improvements were the result of his candidacy.

I guess nothing has changed, but it's now become a national occurrence. President Obama is proposing to spend another $50 billion he doesn't have to pave over roads in the hopes that the electorate will see improvements as the result of his governance.

I call bullshit now as I called it way back when. $50 billion is a drop in the bucket in the entire scheme of things. It will do no more to kick-start our economy than a few paved roads did in Fort Wayne, 36 years ago.

If ever there was a time to make a statement, this year is it. To hell with the federal government thinking that they can spur our economy into growth by paving roads. That is asinine. It didn't help the mayor of Fort Wayne either. He was defeated and replaced with a Republican. Four years later, the roads were paved again, before the next election. Call me a cynic, but I also worry about what happens AFTER November.

In the immortal words of Forest Gump, stupid is as stupid does.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent blog.

    Fancy the content I have seen so far and I am your regular reader of your blog.

    I follow your blog and I like your way of posting.

    I am very much interested in adding http://ehvogel.blogspot.com/ in my blog http://the-american-history.blogspot.com/.

    I am pleased to see my blog in your blog list.

    I would like to know whether you are interested in adding my blog in your blog list.

    Hope to see a positive reply.

    Thanks for visiting my blog as well !

    Waiting for your reply friend !!!!!

    ReplyDelete