Tuesday, September 14, 2010

C'est la vie

Working a regular job is a pain when you want to engage in a conversation for the ages. Unfortunately, you have to set certain priorities with what limited resources and time that you have.

I would love to have the time to spend posting to this and other blogs every day, on multiple occasions. I'm excited about the Tea Party, Sarah Palin and all things conservative. I'm not into political correctness, RINO's, or being forced to adhere to a common thread, no matter what it is. That's the walk that I've chosen.

This blog is about trying to appeal to the impulse for liberty. I brought up the tail-end of the baby-boomers, born in '54. I followed a path into accounting and finance, because it seemed to be my best bet and one that kept me motivated during college. My father was a funeral director and my mom yearned for me to take over the "family business" after graduation, but my heart wasn't in it. He died at a young age, when I was only 16, working his ass off for the family's business. I have much to thank him for, none the least of which is giving me the opportunity to pursue a different path than his.

My father graduated with a degree in finance from Indiana University, but his opportunities were limited after his stint with the Army during WWII, although being discharged at the rank of Captain. His best (and immediate) bet was the family business and, to my knowledge, he never resented it or looked back. Although it didn't draw an immediate parallel to his degree, he was good at it and the business flourished in recognition of his attention to a grieving family's needs. I was always impressed with the empathy he showed those grieving families and they were always very thankful for his devoted attention.

Although I could not follow my dad's path, perhaps mine is not that far off from his. I'm still trying to make a difference with those that grieve for the "good old days". I'm concerned about the days that I remember as a kid and the fact that those days seem to be waning. I truly believe that it doesn't have to be that way.

Can I inspire someone else to pursue the path that I've chosen? Or is it a pipe-dream within the same context of my father's life? If he has stayed alive, he might have given me some insight. But for now and always, I just have to trust his judgment and celebrate the sacrifices he made for me to pursue MY dream, which is to make sure that MY son has the same opportunities that I've had.

Through all our trials, we must ultimately endure setbacks. We have to accept them and learn accordingly. Perhaps our contribution to another one's dream was not enough. Perhaps our vision was not one that stood hand-in-hand with theirs. Perhaps parting a relationship is just the thing to spur us onward toward achieving our goals. It certainly worked for Sarah Palin after her tortured relationship with the McCain campaign. Perhaps, in a smaller way, it will work for me.

Hat Tip to Texas for Sarah Palin. Thanks Josh! I do appreciate the opportunity you gave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment