Thursday, September 30, 2010

Knocking on doors

We're fast approaching the last 30 days before the mid-term elections. If you're reading this post, you might be asking yourself "What can I do?"

I live in a very conservative Congressional district. I have no doubt that our incumbent Republican Representative will win re-election. I have no doubt that our conservative, Republican Governor will win re-election. I am limited in who I can vote for, but I'm not limited in who I can influence to vote.

This election is all about turn-out. We have to make our voice heard. I don't know that I can influence a local election, but I CAN make sure that everyone else on my street knows the importance of this election. I can saunter down through the cul-de-sac and knock on doors. Not to influence their vote, necessarily, but to encourage them to vote.

I might make new friends and I might make my neighbors think about what is happening in our country. I might just make a difference in someone's opinion about whether or not to vote.

Starting on Sunday, I fly a new flag. I've been waiting for October to unfurl my new U.S. flag and the flag that will fly under it: the Gadsden flag. That is going to be my [everyday] contribution to the neighborhood. I have no doubt that the Gadsden flag will be a great conversation-starter as I walk the neighborhood and knock on doors.

What are your plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment