Saturday, September 12, 2009

Where Were You On 9-11?

I remember taking my 8 year-old son to school. After dropping him off, I heard on the radio that a plane had "run into" the World Trade Center. At first, I thought it a very small plane and an extremely unfortunate accident. After dropping off my son and proceeding to work, the radio announced that a second plane had hit the World Trade Center. My thoughts turned to terrorism.

I arrived at work, unpacked my laptop, and proceeded to the cafeteria, where I could watch TV. It was packed. We all watched in solemn silence as the two World Trade Center buildings collapsed. There was weeping and crying in the background.

Four hours later I received a phone call from my boss in Philadelphia. Their building was evacuated for fear of being a target. The building was 50 stories tall. Many were in panic, but the building was not a target.

I remember sitting outside the office building and watching the jets land at DFW. The US airspace was closed and all planes were ordered to land. After 4pm, very few planes came in. I didn't see another plane in the sky for over a week.

Please tell me your story of where you were and how you felt. We must never forget!

BTW, I had a niece and nephew born on 9-11. Twins. Life does go on.

1 comment:

  1. I had just dropped my daughter off at pre-school, and was on my way home from a job interview. I walked in the door, phone ringing, my best friend telling me to turn on the TV, I turned it on in time to see the 2nd plane hit. I stood there in shock for what seemed like hours, and then I began to cry, it wasn't until the next day that the anger welled up and spilled out.

    ReplyDelete