Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day in Obamaland

I just finished entertaining my bride's parents for Father's Day. Okay, I was being feted as well, although I insisted on cooking the hamburgers on the grill. That's normally my task and I relish it. Today, however, I had to fire up the grill when the temperature outside was 102+ degrees. Texas can be nasty in the summertime. Athough the house was comfortable and cool, my outdoor task had me sweating as I said grace at the table before dinner.

My son is 17 years old, which is a very significant age to me. I lost my father to heart failure when I was only 16 and he was 48. Every new day I spend with my son is one that I was denied with my father. That fact never leaves me.

I yearned for my Dad's counsel when I was in college and as a young adult trying to find my way in society. I found others to advise me, but I was always left with the feeling "what would Dad have said?" To this day, I still dream about him as if he was still here. The dreams are not a regular occurrence, but when they happen, I don't forget them.

The bond between a father and son is primordial. It cannot be diminished, although there are always examples of estrangement that seem to suggest otherwise. I think of those cases as aberrations, not really being the real example of most male's experience. After all is said and done, we have but one father, right?

Maybe not. President Obama has issued a proclamation regarding Father's Day. In it, he makes the following statement (emphasis mine):
Nurturing families come in many forms, and children may be raised by a father and mother, a single father, two fathers, a step father, a grandfather, or caring guardian.
I must have failed biology. I thought you could only have one father. Shouldn't we expect more from a learned President than pandering to the wicked masses on the meaning of fatherhood?

I am appalled!

No comments:

Post a Comment