Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Red-Necks and Racists

My first exposure to a "red-neck" was while watching "Easy Rider", back in the 60's. I was horrified at the notion that someone would take a life merely because they had long hair and rode a motorcycle. I vowed to stay away from the South for fear of being targeted and annihilated. So much for youthful fears.

I now live in Texas and I've long since understood the dynamic of living here. After all, no one messes with Texas. I like that. Moreover, my hair isn't down to my shoulders anymore and I never did ride a motorcycle. No harm, no foul, in my mind.

These folks speak my language, although I get teased about my Yankee accent. No matter, I'm on board for the cause. I now laugh at the notion of "red-necks" and have been accused of being one. Any more, it's a derogative term to describe conservative, of which I'm one. So I guess I'm a red-neck.

I also attended a Tea Party when Tea Parties were cool, back on April 15th, 2009. Now, people that attend Tea Parties are racists, although the crowd is pretty much the same as when I attended. I met an awful lot of people on that April 15th. People white, black, female, youthful, whatever. I didn't think I was talking to a bunch of racists, I thought I was talking to a bunch of concerned citizens. Were you there? Maybe I talked to you.

Oh wait! I get it. Being called a "racist" is like being called a "red-neck". In other words, a conservative. But how do I square that with the Blacks, Hispanics and Asians that were at the Tea Party? More importantly, how do they square it?

In a word, I suspect, we don't. We're conservatives and proud of it. Let the name-calling be damned. If you want to call me a red-neck, racist mofo, because I believe in the U.S. Constitution, go for it. I'll meet you at the ballet box. We'll take on that Black Panther thug together. What do you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment